Summer Learning Journey | Week 3: Activity 8: Tanagram Tangles

Today I have completed another Summer Learning Journey activity. The Summer Learning Journey is a program that helps students keep learning throughout the Summer holidays.

I decided to attempt the step it up activity. I first watched all the videos to help me understand the activity. Once I finished watching all videos, I got started on the activity. To complete this activity, I needed to use the shapes of a tanagram to create pictures that represent summer.

The images I made were a house, heart, and a bird. The house picture represents the home we’re able to go to in the summer hoidays. The heart picture represents the things you love to do during the summer. The bird picture represents that amount of birds me and my family feed during the summer in our backyard.

I found this activity a bit challenging because I found it it a bit hard to create the images using the shapes provided from the tanagram.

2 thoughts on “Summer Learning Journey | Week 3: Activity 8: Tanagram Tangles

1. Kia ora Te Raumati,

It’s Simon again from the Summer Learning Journey team. Great job completing so many Summer Learning Journey activities this week. You are doing very well!

You have made some great shapes out of the tangram tiles that represent summer. Thanks for writing a very clear description about why you chose these shapes, and I can completely relate that these shapes represent summer. Tino pai!

I like the bird you have made, it looks like it could be made out of origami too! What sorts of birds does your family feed over summer? Right now I have a pesky magpie that seems to be nesting in my yard. It likes to swoop my dogs. Do you have a favourite type of bird?

Ngā mihi,
    Simon (SLJ)

1. Kia Ora Simon,

Thank you for commenting on my blog post! The type of birds my family feed over the summer are usually sparrows and myna birds, as they are not that scared to come into our backyard. My favourite type of birds are Piwakawaka’s and Tui’s as they both are beautiful native New Zealand birds.

What images would you create using a tanagram that would represent things you do during the summer holiday?

Thank you again for commenting!
      Te Raumati