Summer Learning Journey | Week 2: Activity 5: Art for Arts Sake

Today I have completed another Summer Learning Journey activity. The Summer Learning Journey is a program that helps students keep learning throughout the Summer holidays. 

I decided to attempt both kick start and step it up activity. The overall task was to create a silhouette art. A silhouette is the image of a person, animal, object or scene represented as a solid shape of a single colour, usually black, with its edges matching the outline of the subject.

I first watched all the videos to help me make sure I complete this task properly. After watching the videos, I got started on the actvites. For the kick start activity, I needed to create my own silhouette art. I decided to use my silhouette painting artwork. The silhouette artwork has tui with a background that has multiple cool colours that are blended together.

For the step it up activity, I needed to do the same thing as the kick start but instead of one image, I needed to do multiple ones of it. On a google draw, I decided to divide it up into four sections where I put the same drawing (Fantail) in the center of each square. The colours for the backgrounds are summer colours and colours of the Fantails are the opposite colour of it’s background.

I found this activity fun because I was to learn and expierence a new type of art that I now can do anytime.

3 thoughts on “Summer Learning Journey | Week 2: Activity 5: Art for Arts Sake

1. Kia ora Te Raumati,

What beautiful art you have created! The silhouette of the tui is very well done, it looks like a tui is resting under the cover of darkness, ka pai!

I love your piwakawaka silhouette artwork! I think that deserves to be framed and hung on a wall, maybe in an art gallery?! The koru designs you have included inside the piwakawaka add a nice bit of extra detail. What inspired you to pick the fantail and tui? Do you have a favourite native bird?

Also, thank you for your detailed description of your process, it great to be able to understand how you created this!

If you were going to do another silhouette drawing, what image would you pick?

Look forward to hearing back from you!

Ngā mihi,
    Theresa (SLJ)

1. Greetings Theresa,

Thank you for commenting on my blog post and including your thoughts about my activity! My favourite native birds is a Tui and a Piwakawaka which is why I chose these birds to put on my silhouette art.

I had so much fun attempting this actvity and exploring different ways to present my silhouette artworks. So if I were to make another silhouette drawing, an image I would pick is a silver fern because it is the logo of the Black Fern, which is a group of wahine toa that inspire me.

Would you ever attempt to do a silhouette drawing, and why or why not?

Thank you again for commenting!
      Te Raumati

2. Kia Ora Te Raumati,

Thank you for your response. Tui are beautiful and they have such lovely songs. My favourite is the Kea – mostly because that is the name of the hub that I teach in during the year.

A few years ago we did shadow pictures. It was a lot of fun and reminds me of this task. I would give this task a go.I would probably draw my son’s side profile because he has the most adorable nose and eyes 🙂

Are you planning on doing more tasks over Christmas or will you be with family?

Ngā mihi
    Theresa